Parents understand the inevitable desire to keep their children safe. It is hardwired into almost every living being to protect themselves and their families.
Kids are curious creatures. They’re constantly in awe of the world around them, sometimes getting into things they shouldn’t. That’s why potentially dangerous household products have designed childproof packaging and warning labels.
If you have any ties to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, then you may be familiar with the “Mr. Yuk” sticker.
To promote poison prevention and the poison center, the iconic symbol Mr. Yuk was created by the Pittsburgh Poison Center and was the first recognized poison prevention/poison center awareness symbol in the U.S. Since then, Mr. Yuk has been used to educate children and adults in the U.S. and internationally about poison prevention and to promote poison center awareness.
Parents and guardians have plenty to worry about, especially single parents. It’s nice to see companies and organizations doing what they can to make it easier to keep our little ones safe.
We all know that families have been spending more time at home more than ever, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. The world can be a scary place, especially when some instances of danger are out of our control. But, we can create a safe sanctuary within our homes to feel confident and secure.
What I say next might surprise you…
One of the most abundant and consumed substances in our homes may contain contaminants that are detrimental to the health and development of children.
This article is not meant to instill fear, rather educate the parents and children of America and encourage them to use this information to make future decisions.
Let’s see what the Environmental Working Group (EWG) has to say about unfiltered tap water.
**The following information has been taken directly from the Non-profit Organization’s website and database.
Toxic pollutants in America’s drinking water are particularly hazardous for children. Compared to adults, children drink more water per pound of body weight, resulting in greater exposure and greater risk. They’re also more vulnerable to harmful contaminants because their bodies are still growing and toxic chemicals cause more harm to developing organs and tissues.
According to EWG’s Tap Water Database, drinking water supplies for millions of American children and adults have higher amounts of 90 contaminants than scientists consider safe, even if the water gets a passing grade from the federal government. This number doesn’t account for the exposures of the more than 40 million people who drink water from private wells, which are not routinely monitored for contaminants.
- More than 250 detected contaminants – and the more we test the more we find;
- 93 chemicals linked to cancer;
- 78 chemicals linked to brain and nervous system problems;
- 63 contaminants that can harm development of the fetus or young child;
- 38 contaminants linked to human fertility problems; and
- At least 45 contaminants linked to hormone disruption
Bottled water is no better.
- A study published in 2018 by Frontiers in Chemistry sampled 259 bottles of water sold internationally and concluded that 93% of them contained microplastics. Microplastic, aka synthetic polymer particles, is harmful to both your body and the environment. They are absorbed by the body and then released as dangerous chemicals into the body’s cells. This becomes a great threat to your endocrine system and is especially dangerous for pregnant women, or women who are breastfeeding.
- Microplastic particles can also accumulate polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), chemicals linked to cancers, weakened immune systems, reproductive problems, and much more.
- The chemical compounds found in bottled water acts as a faux-estrogen. When consumed, it causes several abnormalities that have been tied to birth defects, developmental disabilities in children, hyperactivity disorders, increased risk for certain cancers, and more.
- Exposure to the toxins in bottled water is linked to cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, certain cancers, and many other diseases. It also is linked to weight gain. Since BPA and BHPF disrupt our hormones, which affect nearly every bodily function, including metabolism and the rate that fat is stored. This causes weight gain and difficulty losing weight.
Protect you and your family’s health.
Filter your home’s tap water with a Kleenatap Filtration System. It is one of the safest, most efficient, and affordable options in keeping a clean and tasty water supply. It’s a smart decision.
We have two-stage and four-stage systems to ensure the water you put in your body is at its safest and purest form.
Stage 1– removes sediment, dirt, rust, slime, and protects the carbon filter
Stage 2– the activated carbon block removes THMs, chlorine, lead, VOCs, bacteria, pesticides, and herbicides.
Stage 3– a thin film membrane separates heavy metals and the extreme dissolved chemicals
Stage 4– an alkaline filter polishes and adds the essential minerals back into the water for a healthy & amazing taste